Question/Answer Session

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Behind the Scenes

Motherhood

It is lived out in many ways. But, one of the ways I'm feeling motherhood these days is to say,
"My life is lived out behind the scenes."

I think of Faith Hart's famous words, "Life is lived in the day to day mundane." Faith is the wife of Ed Hart, a wonderful pastor in upstate New York.

Magic really does happen behind the doors of our home. Patience is measured out. Lessons are learned. Little personalities are growing up quickly! And, of course, Sharpie marks find their way onto our blinds!

My life sometimes feels like a secret garden of sorts. I pour all my energy into taking care of myself and our little ones each day. That is my only "job." I don't have performance reviews or benchmarks to measure when my next raise might come. Most often I feel like the janitor at a supermarket filled with pigs wearing roller skates. Yes, once that orange display is all set up in aisle 1, I'm needed for a wet clean up in aisle 12. Instead of earning money, I figure out ways to best stretch our income, like cutting my own hair after watching a youtube tutorial tonight. I must say, that 16-year-old girl really knew what she was talking about. I'm rocking my new locks right now!
Photobucket



I'm realizing I really need an apron, especially with this baby belly getting into all the flour!
Photobucket


Not only are the kids growing up fast, but I feel as if I'm growing as a parent. These days, as I stroll around with three little kiddos and one obviously on the way, I often hear the comment, "I don't know how you do it." I know reality. I have bad days. I obviously can't do it like my friends give me credit for. When more than one kid is trying to talk to me at once, I have developed a mini-twitch in my right eye and I literally hold my head and say for the millionth time, "One at a time," or "could you wait until Mrs. So and So is done with her sentence to me."


Finn graduated this week from his hand therapy sessions. He still does not have full use of his thumb. That will take another few months. But, that moment in the therapist office as he held up his prizes and declared, "I've never graduated from anything before!" I was so proud of him. I had to send this photo to Camlon right away!
Photobucket



Only 2 months left before we are parents all over again to a little newborn. The hospital is a beautiful place.
Photobucket


I really feel for that first born child. There are so many things I do differently now as far as taking care of our kids than what we did with Finn! I wonder if Cam feels the same way.


Finn's school celebrated Veteran's day with quite the ceremony. I was glad MomMom was visiting to help with the kids, so I could take some pictures and video.
Photobucket


Finn's first grade class sings the Army portion of this song at the beginning. Finn still sings this song as we walk to school each morning.



Speaking of MomMom's visit.......these are the only pictures I took! At least you see the proof of her amazing help around the house!
Photobucket




Ally is like a surprise party each and every day. You have no idea what you are going to get.
Photobucket



She is definitely an "outside the box" thinker and she is also very determined and focused once she's on a mission. She's been loving playdates with our neighbor lately!
Photobucket



Ally's preschool had a little costume parade one day. So cute.
Photobucket




She is in a class of 12 kids with two teachers.
Photobucket



Cookie was there to enjoy the show!
Photobucket





Photobucket





Photobucket





Photobucket






Photobucket





Photobucket






Photobucket






Photobucket






Photobucket





I LOVED this little boy because he reminded me of Finn.
Photobucket



He wouldn't take a picture with his teacher unless his mom joined in!
Photobucket




We went to several harvest festivals. I had to include this blurry picture, b/c I loved our neighbors costumes! But, the camera was accidentally set to manual focus and I didn't know it! :(
Photobucket




We had a great dinner at the Corvette Diner with Aunt Linda and Uncle Jim!
Photobucket



The restaurant was blaring music and had several birthday parties going on, so it wasn't ideal for catching up, but the kids had fun! The balloons you see in this picture are actually braided into the girls' hair!
Photobucket


Our wonderful friend, Danielle, came to help with the kids!
Photobucket




Linda brought the kids some great books! I don't know how she did this, but she read it to Finn inside the restaurant, despite all the noise!
Photobucket



Jim!
Photobucket



Cam and I do have strong feelings about how we should celebrate Halloween. However, our neighborhood really comes together on this holiday. One cul-de-sac even throws a huge potluck with plenty of food for the adults out with their kids and plenty of candy for the little ones. Plus, at the last minute, a bunch of friends decided to descend on our neighborhood for the evening. It ended being a grand time for everyone. Plus, I had plenty of adult help with my kiddos!
Photobucket





Photobucket




Ally made it clear to everyone that she was WINTER Cinderella, not just Cinderella!
Photobucket




Love all these friends that helped me round up Eric from time to time! He was so tired!
Photobucket


My kids totally pooped out first that evening, so I didn't get to venture down to the famous cul-de-sac. And next year, I hope to go to the carnival at our church instead of the trick or treating. Thousands of people go to it. I was kind of sad to miss it this year, but I just wasn't prepared for another festival. We went to both harvest festivals for Ally and Finn's schools.


Eric and I sometimes have some alone time these days. We ventured down to Balboa park after a doctor's appointment one day.
Photobucket





Photobucket





This is one of my favorite places in San Diego!
Photobucket



Can't have a post without including Eric's famous camera grin these days!
Photobucket




We've even had a couple rainy days lately!
Photobucket





Photobucket




Eric insists on putting his boots on by himself, no matter how long it takes!
Photobucket





Photobucket



Yes....I know it is early!
Photobucket


But, what the heck! :)


We have a special visit from Grandma Barb in a couple days! Hopefully, I'll be a better photographer and blogger.

If you are a parent reading this, enjoy whatever season of parenthood you are in.

2 comments:

RookieVA said...

As usual, I love your posts. They make the memories real and the ones I miss-like I was there to share it with all of you. Looked for raincoats at the outlet stores here in Kittery but too expensive for the amount of days they would use them - rarely!
Enjoy your Mom's visit. Oh, why does she get the bed?!

Anonymous said...

Nice job on the haircut! I would never even think about taking scissors to my hair! It looks great on you!
Yay for Finn with his PT! He looks so happy!
Hope that you guys continue to do well! What are your holiday plans?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share