Question/Answer Session

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Memorable Stories

Happy Mother's Day a tad early. Tonight was the perfect example of what it means to be married with young children.

We set off to find the closest library using our GPS. We have two of them: one for the car and one on Cam's phone. But, for some reason, San Diego is not GPS friendly and apparently, there are no satellites....at all. Maybe, it's b/c we are close to bases. The military hogs all the satellites and they probably jam the signals.

Like from the movie, Spaceballs, "They've jammed us!"

So, we'd be driving down a funky street and suddenly hear, "The satellites have been lost." Or, the car GPS would say, "the GPS lost your whereabouts 1 second ago. 2 seconds ago......" and we'd just start cruising around. It only seems to do this around our neighborhood up through Mission Hills......We never found the library.

But, that's okay. The kids were still happy. Relatively.... Finn sang along to his favorite song, "5 Little beans," by Wayne from Maine, Grumpy Ally snuggled with her blanket. And our little 1 year old, Eric, took off his shoes and observed the velco strap. Close. *pause* Rip-Open! Close. *pause* Rip-Open! Now, we were off to Sunset Cliffs in Point Loma to see the sunset and watch the surfers.

We even found a parking space.

This was promising.

Of course, when they say Cliffs, they really mean cliffs. I tried to take in the beauty. But, of course, the mother in me was going balistic watching happy-go-lucky Finn and Ally meander around the rocks....ah....how many times did I say, "BE CAREFUL!" or "Stay by Daddy." But, after I knew they were safe I could enjoy the view. IT was amazing. With the waves crashing right in front of us ~ even giving us a good spray every so often.

Baby did not like that. I was with baby since Cam could more easily jump off the cliff to rescue our other two if need be. So, I had to move away from the water and up to a bench near the road. Then, it hit me. I really needed to pee. Eric was fine for awhile and then he started to get whiny.

Cam looked over and saw the whiny baby. He saw me hugging myself from the cold and hopping on one leg looking for a port-o-potty. He came over and said,
"Well, what do you want to do? The sun's not going to set for 45 more minutes."

This is when you sacrifice as a mother. Well, we left sunset cliffs before the sun even set. Yet, we still counted it a successful evening.
No one injured.
Check.

Got a glimpse of a beautiful place.
Check.

Drove away with everyone in the car.
Check.

But, the best mommy feeling I got today came at the kids' bedtime.

Eric played a new game with daddy now called "Hit the Deck." Cam tells him to lie down in his bed and he does....but then, when we aren't looking he slowly stands up and peers out at us. Cam quickly jumps up and turns toward him and right away, Eric hits the deck, full force. IT is so funny to hear him crash we all started laughing, even Finn and Ally. They repeated this 3 or 4 times, until Eric thought it would be funnier to keep standing. Then, the game was over!

As we were tucking everyone in, Finn told us a story tonight. This was his story.

"Once upon a time, a little boy came to a castle. The King answered the door and said, 'Where do you come from?'
THe little boy said, 'I come from my house.'
THe king told the Queen what the boy had said.
Then, the Queen told the farmer.
Then, the farmer told his...........his woman.
Then, they all came running to the castle to see the boy.
But, he was scared of them and ran home to his bed.
The End.

His woman, huh??? It starts so young.

TOnight, I finally have a little time to update pictures and get photo-organized.
Pictures to come.

Happy Mother's Day!
Much love to my favorite Mothers: Margaret, Barb, DeDe, Jacki, Leslie, Liz, Linda and Tatyana. OH, and of course all Mother's I ever encounter!!!

Enjoy each moment you have.

Even when you are catching vomit in your hands so as to protect the carpet...... as my friend, Nga so eloquently puts it!!

3 comments:

Joyful said...

Rachel, this is so funny! Happy Mother's Day to you, every day :) XO

RookieVA said...

wonderful story, Rach! I think I would've let the carpet have it.....but then I would've had to clean it up later.....Oh, well, Happy Mother's Day! Miss you all. Thanks for taking the time to help us have a glimpse of your life out there.

Unknown said...

Love you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share