Question/Answer Session

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Rattle, Rattle...Shake, Shake

In 2002, I lived in Kobe, Japan.

Japan is one of the most earthquake prone places on Earth. On January 17, 1995, Kobe was victim to a 6.8 magnitude earthquake with tremors lasting 20 seconds.
Photobucket
(akatsuka)

The death toll was in the thousands.
Photobucket
nautical2k



Photobucket
(fujisan3)



By the time I moved there, the city was completely rebuilt and thriving. They had side by side photos in their earthquake museum boasting how the landscape had completely recovered since the quake. The museum was on my running route along the harbor. It's one of the coolest buildings I have ever seen. Amazing architecture.
Photobucket
(gleebean)

I often wondered if I'd experience such a quake while I was there. We lived on the second floor of a 15-storey apartment complex. I didn't know if that was good or bad.
Bad: a lot of weight to come down on us. Good: easy for us to get out fast.

While in Japan, I did experience one minor earthquake. So minor, I thought my stomach had just gone queasy for a second. Later, I found out it had been a quake of 3.6.

Both Japan and California have seen some plate shifting action recently. Before we moved out here, there was an Easter quake (they call it) of 6.9 south of the border in Baja. And just yesterday, Camlon and I felt our first one, a 5.7 quake which rattled our closet doors and made me fall away from the dresser I was leaning against.

The kids didn't wake up it was over so quickly. We looked out our bedroom windows and the neighborhood was humming along as usual. One of our neighbors did step out of his house and he was looking around. I don't know if he shared a knowing glance w/ us from our window or not. I miss so much when I don't have my glasses on.

What a crazy feeling. Our house was moving!!!



Before all that excitement, our family had had a busy day!! Some special visitors came over...

We posted a welcome sign.
Photobucket


Especially made by Finn.
Photobucket


We had to clean up some messes. Oops!!
Photobucket



We got out toys our little friend would enjoy.
Photobucket



Photobucket


And we she arrived, the fun began!
Photobucket


Our little Ladybug!!
Photobucket



We got a little dirty!! Which was fabulously fun!
Photobucket



We got out the chalk....
Photobucket



I couldn't decide which of the following three pictures I liked best......
Photobucket


so,
Photobucket



I posted them all!
Photobucket
Her eyes just melt my heart! We can't wait to meet again! :)


What a fun day. But, it didn't end there! We had more friends come over in the evening for a treasure hunt, a spaghetti dinner, Stars Wars trivia and a special movie, "The Swan Princess." This is currently Finn's favorite movie! We love our L.A. girls coming over!! No photos of that fun. Things were a little busy!


Another thing I LOVE, is watching how Daddy plays with the kiddos. This weekend, I came upstairs after folding some laundry to discover this going on in the living room.
Photobucket


Cow-a-bunga!!
Photobucket


Daddy also opened up the coffee table and turned it into a tunnel for Baby.
Photobucket


I love Ally's hair after she's had a workout. It goes crazy curly!!
Photobucket


They did this for a LONG, LONG time!!
Photobucket

Awesome! If the ground is not shaking underneath us, I'm sure we'll be busy doing enough shaking of our own!

1 comment:

Katie and Beau said...

I had a great time visiting and I know AC had a great time eating, I mean playing with chalk and your kids...thanks again!

I was a little freaked out by the quake last night because Beau was on duty. I was so glad that it ended quickly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share