Question/Answer Session

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Mt. Soledad.......Finally

I came home last Saturday after running some errands to find Camlon sitting at my computer, listening to Tim McGraw's, "If you're reading this...." I already knew what he was thinking.....

"I miss Eric," he said.

Getting together with Dixie regularly, discovering our old LIFT photos and our recent correspondence with Eric's family has finally opened the door for Cam's grief. With all that has taken place these past few years and even before Eric was killed.....Life was getting away from us. The daily demands of kids and the stress of changing jobs, moving.....

Even during the time of Eric's funeral.... In a crazy whirlwind of driving 44 hours in 48, we got to Kentucky late the night before, found the church the service was moved to, drove over to the burial site..... As the jets flew over, it hit Cam for the first time and he lost it. But, immediately, we had the 22 hour drive back to New Jersey to pick up the kids and then continue on up to New York for a mission trip that Cam was supposed to be leading already. Talk about jumping right back into things!


Today, I finally made it to Mt. Soledad, a Veteran memorial.
Photobucket



In my eyes, it is the most beautiful place in San Diego.
Photobucket


I parked in this huge lot, looking out over the ocean. I sat there for awhile. Finally, it was time pay my respects. I knew I wouldn't be able to do that very well at the monument with three children running loose... I think that is why I paused before even getting out of the car.
Photobucket


I found his plaque after awhile and wouldn't you know, he directly faces the ocean.
My kids played like monkeys on the railings while I sat there and ran my fingers over the words....
Photobucket






Photobucket





Photobucket





Ally brought a rose...
Photobucket






Photobucket






Photobucket


I'm at a loss for words, Eric Terhune.
You had so much to come home to.
You had so much to offer still.
Your last months were beyond challenging....
You gave all...


Photobucket



And, here we are today.
Photobucket





Photobucket



Today we played Chris Mann's song, "Beautiful Life" and danced together. Little Eric loves dancing. You put a fast song on and he bounces around with the biggest smile.


But, if you put on a slow song, he curls up like this.
Photobucket


Today, as we danced to this song, little guy actually curled right up and fell asleep in my arms.


**********************************************************

To the whole Terhune family:
Eric paid the ultimate sacrifice. However, yours is still on going. We pray for you today and I remember your sacrifice as well.


(**to listen to this song, scroll down to the bottom of the page and stop the playlist.)



5 comments:

Summer said...

Beautiful, Rachel--I'm so glad you got some pictures while the cross is still there.

Boo said...

Thanks Rachel for posting this, reading your thoughts bring fresh tears. i miss him too.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures...beautiful memories. I am glad you finally got there!

Dixie said...

Yes, fresh tears. But this is beautiful. I thank God every day for bringing Eric into my life and now I thank him for blessing me with you and the family I have come to know. Love you.

RookieVA said...

What a thoughtful post, Rachel. You are teaching your children well - the joys and the sorrows of life. I am so appreciative of having you in our family - love you all.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share