"Today, I'm being domestic!"
At first, it was said with triumph and joy!
I loved washing and folding every article of his clothing.
I loved making dinners that made him say, "This one's a keeper." At least that's what I thought he said as he spoke with all that food in his mouth. But, the rate at which it disappeared off the plate would be the telltale sign.
I loved sweeping and vacuuming and making the bed. I loved blasting some music every Saturday morning and just doing the full-on deep clean of the bathroom, kitchen, entry way (always covered with dirt from Cam's work boots).
My family wasn't too keen on domestic responsibility and I grew up watching the cleaning lady do all the hard work. I would complain about picking the stuff up off my floor so she would be able to vacuum and dust and all that. When I took a job at COTW as a housekeeper, that was the first time in my life that I had ever cleaned a toilet. Ever. I was 21.
So, I actually did love being able to clean, organize and straighten all by myself. Not living in a pigpen was a real accomplishment for me. Our house was tidy, but my room was always a 4 out of 5 on the messy scale. My mom said it would have been a 5, but she never found old food amidst all my clutter. Then, only 3 months into our marriage, my blissful, competent housewife days were over. I found out I was pregnant. Figuring out pregnancy and having a full time job....well, things around the house were a little lax in the cleaning department. I gave that side of me 9 months off for the most part. Meals weren't planned, the dirt in the entry way eventually found its way into our bathroom. Then, the comments began....
"Honey, where are my socks."
"Oh......probably in the dirty laundry. I'll get to that soon."
"I don't have any clean socks?"
"..........ah, yeah. Sorry about that."
And, well, my lovely husband has braved the last few years well. We are coming up on our 5th anniversary. We've moved 3 times and have 3 children. And the laundry still isn't done sometimes! : ) But, I've come a long way in the domestic arena. In fact, with baby #3 now here.... I feel I may have finally found a system that works. Cam will still find piles of things stacked right where he is supposed to put "his" stuff and he will come home some nights simply starving (b/c I didn't make a lunch), only to hear, "Oh, you're hungry. Well, the kids and I just ate, so.....let me see........ We've got some old sloppy joes and lima beans." But, he smiles most of the time and simply is thankful for the one chore I did get done that day that I would have been very vocal about! And he is especially thankful that I can be at home and for all the time I spent with the kids! Overall, we know this is the most important way I spend my time any way!
Cam helps out so much as well, especially right now while the kids are sooo young!
Our little peanut is taking to life outside the womb!





There's been plenty more going on around here lately. These photos will be just a sneak peek.
A picnic on our first nice day of spring!

Grandma's Visit!

This sling is a work in progress. Most of the time, Eric is not happy in there. He's taking to life outside the womb too well! I'm so glad slings come with an instruction booklet! Seriously, how complicated could it be?! And baby, c'mon ~ it's supposed to be womb-like in there! But, I guess you are sooo over that.

The sling is from Mamma'smilk.com





No comments:
Post a Comment