
Last night, we did have a family movie night. Tarzan II was the movie chosen. The kids loved it. I made them a snack of strawberries with a fruit dip and popcorn. Little Miss Ally thought the popcorn and the dip were a good combo - then she went all out and wiped that dip bowl clean with her fingers and tongue.

However, the 3 days leading up to yesterday were without any kind of TV or video. I've been very surprised by the behavior of my kids! When I turn off the TV, the one thing I need to prepare myself for is that I will be talked to A LOT more and they usually talk to me at the same time. This simply makes my head explode. But, when I know it's coming, it's actually not so bad. I just listen to one and then, listen to the other one! Simple sounding, but it takes quite a gift, especially if the party that is not being listened to at the moment is screaming or singing loudly!
No TV has created a wonderful teaching environment. Time seems to stand still a bit. This may drive some crazy, especially on those days we look so forward to nap time. But, the surprising thing is it's not driving me crazy. It's because my kids are behaving so well and they are busy doing other things like: crafts, pretending, helping me cook, going outside, reading a boat-load of books, and the shocker of all shockers, they are playing together well. A 3-year-old and an almost 2 year-old. Of course, this is not all the time. But, most of the time. They are behaving better than they have the last couple of weeks when we had the TV on.
One day, when I was feeding the baby on my bed and I could hear the little ones getting up from their naps, I thought, "Oh, what are we going to do. I've got to feed the baby." So, when they came into my room, blankies in tow, I said, "Let's pretend to be on a pirate ship." Little Finn just ran with that idea and we played pirates on the bed well after I was done feeding the baby.

I photographed a day in the life with no TV on our first day trial.
Bath time after breakfast.
I fed the babe.

Ally scribbled and Finn did a worksheet.


We went outside (It was 90 degrees!)



Is this proof or what. They were getting along so well!

Of course it won't be this easy. The study continues....





No comments:
Post a Comment