Question/Answer Session

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Spiraling Out of Control

Photobucket
(Audrey Hepburn from Breakfast at Tiffany's)

I'd love to be sprawled out, taking a nap right now.

I've tried really, really hard to keep everything lined up, orderly, timely, figured out...and well,

It's definitely all gone splat on the floor. Not just any splat, either. It's the kind of splat that occurs when you put nail polish in your caboodle and take it on an airplane. When I discovered that very mess coating all my make up and hair scrunchies, my little 8th grade heart sank and I had to dig deep to make the mauve splat not ruin my entire spring break with the family, especially when we were staying at a place called the Hotel Bougainvillea, in Costa Rica.

Photobucket

As I've gotten older, the splats must be bigger than a broken nail polish bottle before they can cause such emotional duress. Or maybe not. Maybe it's just that 5 people in one family are dealing with mauve stained messes! And I, the responsible mother that I am, with compassion enviable among all, feel the pain of everyone.

The 5 of us have a cold. Mine, of course, is mild (one must survive). Finn and Ally have pink eye. Baby still gets up twice a night. Cam has a cough that is not going away for a LONG time.
Photobucket


We are moving in 4 weeks (oh! no! We are moving in 3 1/2 weeks!) We've got mail going every which way ~ here, Iowa.....Hopefully our house search is over. We did find a place and we are beginning the paperwork. We are figuring out the best way to get all 5 of us, our stuff and two vehicles across the country! So much planning, right?
Photobucket

To survive the past few weeks, and provide some comfort to the family, I've made 3 batches of snowballs. All seem to disappear within 2 days. These treats are from my high school days and my friend brought them over to us along with the recipe a couple weeks ago. Well, I will post the recipe soon, but it will have to wait until the weekend. Yes. I'm following Michelle Obama's footsteps. We are trying to only have desserts on the weekends.

Cam asked, "Does Friday count??"


It's hump day.
Photobucket

The cookies and ice cream are calling my name day and night.....
Photobucket

I have a major sweet tooth. I don't know how many snowballs Cam and I even let the kids eat. Although, Cam did eat the last 6 and left the empty container in the freezer for me to find. I was crushed. It was almost a nail polish moment....but I held it together.

It's all for the best. And the kids are at the right age to make this change. I used to say, "Finn, if you want dessert, you'll need to eat your carrots first."

Now I say,
"Finn, if you don't eat your carrots, you won't get your treat this weekend."

Harsh right. But, the kids have no concept of time. He just sits there, says, "Oh, Man," and eats the rest of his veggies. If I said that to a teenager, I'd probably have veggie casserole flung in my face.

If I step out of my whirling brain for a moment, I see that we are having a blast here in Newport. We are making new friends. We go to the library weekly. We are finding all the fun parks. And most importantly, daddy is getting some wonderful family time. And some much needed down time. Sorry family, for the lack of phone calls.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I wonder how long it will take for us to breakdown and get Finn some sort of video game? He makes anything into a video game.
Photobucket
So far, it works to say, "Hey Finn, when we visit Uncle Dave and Aunt Leslie, you can play the car game." You guys are his heros!


Ally is growing up a lot lately. Her and Finn are playing so well together most of the time and it has been a joy to watch them.
Photobucket

She's sporting a new 'do.
Photobucket

SO BIG!!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Here's where baby likes to go when I've been on the phone or emailing realtors.
Photobucket

Three things I've been enjoying lately....

1. Spring has Sprung
Photobucket

2. Kiddo showers
Photobucket


Photobucket


3. Watching Daddy with the babes. The Best Nest is Ally's favorite book. She read it to daddy. She has it memorized.
Photobucket
Even though everything is not perfect....everything is fine. :) Slow steps up the mountain will eventually get us there. "The Little Engine that Could" is currently Finn's favorite book!


And one chilly evening, we got down to the beach with some friends.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Hopefully, we will get some warmer weather soon. Our two families would love to get some beachy family photos!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wonderful post Rachel. Thanks! Love you. Good luck with all the broken fingernail polish moments. You are all strong. You can do it! Looking forward to your Iowa stop on the way west.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share