Question/Answer Session

Saturday, October 9, 2010

In This Moment: Our New Home Town

Will we be able to make this new community feel like home?
Photobucket

It is hard to feel this deep desire the sink roots down only to realize these roots may get pulled up again in two years.

Yet again, I'm driving new roads, finding a new post office, new bank branch, etc. Is the church we've started going to worth the 30 minute drive one way now?

.....These things actually don't bother me too much. I figure I'm getting older... I need to continue exercising my brain. My mom does crossword puzzles. Now, my brother also enjoys crossword puzzles. Infact, he creates his own crossword puzzles. But, for me....? I blog. I homeschool. I get to find out where the heck I am living every few years. I explore new communities and people. And my brain thanks me.

What I didn't expect to happen was for me to actually fall in love with a place we move to....like our current city. NO, I shall call it our community. I feel like we found this little pocket of land that feels small townish in the midst of a 3 million strong metropolis. We have boy scouts and little leaguers knocking on our door. We have community bike races and run/walks, parades. And a beautiful old park in the middle that plays host to a weekly farmer's market, a kiddie railroad and a gazebo with local musicians and free movie screenings for kids.

Plus, as mentioned in the previous post, our neighbors are well........small town neighbors in the best possible sense!! We stop and chat at the mailbox. The kids squeal with excitement as people walk by the front of our house on their evening strolls. One of our neighbors brought over some cookies, and Whhhhooooa!!! She bakes some A-Mazing cookies!

We wanted to belong and fit in and I feel like we do. I was nervous to leave our temporary apartment because I really had fallen in love with that wonderful spot. I loved having Balboa park at our front door step.

However, we didn't have this.....
Photobucket



We had downtown all right, but we didn't have our own little community. And what better way to get acquainted then to attend the annual parade.
Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket


The Princess waved right at Finn!
Photobucket



Photobucket


I have never seen chimes in a marching band before....
Photobucket




We got ourselves officially registered to VOTE!!!
Photobucket


Yes. We are settling in quite nicely. Although, I think Camlon wishes he could be home a bit more often. After 3 weeks at sea, we are so glad to have him back home!!!

Eric often sits right here in our living room and looks out the window for Daddy. He was distracted by the camera here!
Photobucket


Finn lately has been missing his old friends and missing Iowa and New Jersey A LOT. He wants Laurilee back and he asked tonight why no one else visits for 3 weeks like she did!! I wonder how all our moves will affect him? Will he take them in stride and find the best things about life where he is AT THAT MOMENT?!!!

I hope so. I know I will.
Photobucket


3 comments:

c3 said...

Rachel, I love your blog! It inspires me to be a fun, creative mom like you. Thanks for sharing your life. (I wish you lived closer, so we could do fun mom things together!)

Rachel said...

Thank you! We do miss upstate a lot. I hope your parades still throw candy! not a single piece here at ours, can you believe it!!!? I also love how the high school marching band uniform is a polo and khaki shorts. Welcome to southern California!!

Unknown said...

i can certainly sympathize with the 30 min ride to church! :-)

miss u guys, thanks for your blog.

hope all is well!

mike

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share