Question/Answer Session

Friday, March 26, 2010

Serendipity

I'm not the most outgoing person.

I used to be.

But, having 3 small children, I find it easier to just mind my own business when I'm out and about. To engage someone, especially someone new, in conversation takes my whole attention....and when I'm watching my kids, it is impossible to do that. It's impossible to do both well. And so, I just gave up my little socialite half and settling on people watching.

Yesterday, I met this woman at the park...
Photobucket


Her daughter wanted to ride the same toy Finn and Ally were on. The mom came right over and started chatting away. I think normally, this upsets me a little. I like to be anonymous sometimes. We are only here for another 3 weeks, it's not like I should be making deep inroads in the community. And I'm sure I answered minimally to her statements at first.
Photobucket
(Ally's showing her age to the woman.)


But, I don't know what it was.......her laughter as she observed Finn's storytelling. Her very kind and positive attitude. And, well, she opened me up. We got to talking....A LOT. Finn was pulling on my pants trying to get my attention away from her. The baby was probably eating wood chips. But, it was a "meant to be" kind of moment. And even if we never see each other again, I'm glad I got to share that moment with this mom. Whenever we come back East, I'll be sure to look her up.
Photobucket


In the kitchen, baby's becoming quite the tupperware master.
Photobucket


Kids and bubbles = at least 15 minutes of the cutest laughter and giggles. Do you remember the fish from Finding Nemo that was in the tank waiting for the bubbles to come? Both Finn and Ally could not stop saying "bubbles!" whenever a new batch was unleashed!
Photobucket




Photobucket




Photobucket




Photobucket



For the fabulous weekend coming, we made another batch of snowballs!
Photobucket

Here's the recipe: (And this makes a lot!)
1 1 /2 cups butter softened
5 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 t. vanilla
1 cup shredded coconut
5 cups oatmeal
1/3 cup milk (I never use this much)
1 cup mini chocolate chips
extra powdered sugar for dusting

In a LARGE bowl, cream butter and vanilla and 1 cup powdered sugar to start, then gradually add powdered sugar and oatmeal, alternating between the two. use high speed mixer to combine ingredients (I haven't had a mixer to make this yet and if you don't have a mixer..let me tell you, it's quite a workout!!). Once all powdered sugar and oatmeal have been mixed in, add coconut, mix well. slowly add milk in 3 batches to incorporate completely to get correct consistency. Once all ingredients are well mixed, using a spatula, add and fold in mini chips.

Using a large cookie sheet, lightly dust the bottom w/ powdered sugar. Next, shapes cookies onto sheet and dust tops with more powdered sugar. Freeze. Cookies will be ready to enjoy in about 30 minutes. Store in Freezer.

2 comments:

TimW said...

hmmMMMMmm, looks like I might be engaging Sarah for a mission this weekend.. 'snowballs'! ;]

Melanie said...

Oh, I can't wait to try these! They do make special GF oats, too!

Seems like your kids have had a recent growth spurt? They just look so grown up to me in these recent photos - not babies anymore. Well, except the baby! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share