Question/Answer Session

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

1 Hour/Week + 2 or 3 Families = Instant Community

The formula just works. Weekly is a little difficult for some, especially w/ traffic around here, but for these next two months, every Monday our doors will be open.

We are not big on formal entertaining. We do love that occasionally. But, you know what? Occasionally just doesn't do it for me. I don't feel like I really get to know someone if we have gotten together for dinner once over 6 months ago. Oh, I'm sure it was a fabulous meal with glorious conversation. And, I know we would have every intention of getting together again "soon," but it just doesn't happen.

The Magic of One Hour: It is nothing big. Eat and go. Be gone with you. You have homework to do? Great. See you later. What? You want to see a movie? Awesome. You just want to go home and veg for the only 2 hours you have to veg all week? Sounds great. Just come to our house for 1 hour and eat a meal first. Dinner will be ready when you walk in the door and dessert will be brought out right after the dishes are cleared! Chat and laugh. Have some coffee or wine or both. Wipe your mouth. And, excuse yourself! I figure the more often you walk through our doorway, the deeper a comfort to be found in our friendship.

Although, I do secretly hunger for those that may want to linger awhile and play some rockin' games of spoons, Indian poker, Apples, Scatergories, or whatever....oh, I may have to have a separate game night for that.

Smells of simmering pasta sauce roamed our hallways all afternoon before our company arrived last Monday.
Photobucket





Photobucket




Ally set out a beautiful flower on the table.
Photobucket


I put on BlogGirl's playlist (that is her nickname around this house because I don't know how to say her name! Is it Kell? Is it Kelly? Which is it when you see Kelle!? Hmmmmm!?
Photobucket

BTW: *major side note* over at KelleHampton, they reached their fund-raising goal of $75,000 for the National Down Syndrome Society over the course of 2 weeks. Thanks to everyone who donated. I'm sure you are more blessed after seeing the videos/photos and just being a part of everyone's journey for a moment! I have to admit, it was amazing to see those numbers climb!*****


I do love my camera. However, sticking it in people's faces when they first walk in the door is not the best way to make friends....So, I had to be subtle!
Photobucket


Some have grown fairly accustomed to my camera....I won't mention any names...
Photobucket


After the meal, people were switching seats, moving about, talking with one another. Chatting in the hallway was a favorite spot. Of course, then, you always have to make that awkward cut through....
Photobucket



Camlon and I really don't have a clue what makes a wine good or bad.
Photobucket
Except one time, when we bought a boxed wine. That went right down the sink....All I could think was anyone drinking that, even wanting to drink that, has a serious problem. Other couples brought the wine this particular night and I thought it was just fine.


Those with early mornings and little babes were out the door first. But, those who stuck around were in for some wrestling!
Photobucket


John was flying solo for awhile.
Photobucket


But, Camlon jumped in, too. Or should I say he got jumped on, too.
Photobucket



Quote from Camlon later that night, "A is fun to wrestle. You can really throw him around!!!" Meaning: He is much bigger and more aggressive than Finn at present, so Cam was having a lot of fun with him!
Photobucket


It was a good night.
Maybe, down the road, when our friends have come through our door enough to be comfortable.... Maybe, once they learn about my crazy picture taking obsession, I will sneak in a group shot on here! But, until then, I leave you with this.
Photobucket

I've spoken with another friend via the blogworld and she as well has some awesome neighbors and they have built a community with each other that sounds fantastic. Send a message and let me know if this idea takes off in your neck of the woods. You may just find a new family born around your table.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks and sounds like it was an awesome time had by all! And I love your theory on one hour every week. I think you are absolutely right that everyone will become like family and just be comfortable. Like, wear your sweats over kind of comfortable! I love that kind of comfort!

PS We are all very envious of your 80s and sprinklers over there! We are lucky to even get to half that temperature around here!

Emily said...

Great idea! Looks like a lot of fun!
(Hi Rachel! I read your blog often but don't know if I've ever commented before - I'm trying to be better about that!)
Keep up the good work!

Summer said...

You say it like normal Kelly.

This was an awesome post/idea. Beautiful work & pictures!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share