Question/Answer Session

Sunday, January 2, 2011

I've been changed this year by....

Education: "Education in the largest sense is any act or experience that has a formative effect on the mind, character or physical ability of an individual."

When inspiration strikes, let it in. No matter where it comes from.


1. Brad Paisley: I grew up with this deep seeded hatred toward country music. As I grew up, my older brother equalled G-d in my eyes. His taste in music was obviously the coolest: Pink Floyd. Bob Marley. Queen. Steve Miller. And weird stuff like: Ween. Dead Milkmen. Phish. Then, in college, I had this strange year of embracing: Tool, Limp Bizkit. Chemical brothers. Did I really just write that? It pains me to write that, but I actually still have the CDs. I was also introduced to Nickel Creek and some other bluegrass. For my entire duration in Japan, I had The Beatles, Fleetwood Mac's, "The Dance" and Sheryl Crow's, "Soak up the Sun" on my "mini-disc" player. I still have that little piece of technology. The kids play with it, tossing it around like a piece of junk. Then, I discovered Jesus again: Shane & Shane. Caedmon's call. And just the beautifully written lyrics of "In Christ Alone" performed by many a band...

In the last year, Cam has gone back to his country roots a bit. We've been laughing through a lot of Toby Keith Songs. I still can't stand Kenny Chesney, but I do like two of his more serious songs (probably the ones any college male Chesney fan would hate!). I remember spending the summer of '99 down in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. My idea of a Southern Christian was one of hypocrisy. And, that may very well be the case for many Southern Christians. Personally, I would much rather be a Southern Christian, holding strong to certain beliefs and yet, also being able to have fun, RELAX and enjoy life and the people in it. I would much rather be that than a stuffy, legalistic Northern Christian so proud of all I've accomplished in my own self-righteousness. No intention of starting another civil war here with my generalizations.... *winks* I'm just talking music actually.

But, I've been brought around to love country music through this man.

LOVE this man.

2. Narayanan Krishnan: Although I can not personally do what this man does....(this video has an ad in front of it. Sorry, but wait it out b/c the video is worth your time). Watching him feed these people humbled me. If I could just care for my own children with this LOVE, I would feel I've taken a step in the right direction. My favorite line is, "everyone has 5.5 liters of blood. we are all the same."


3. Temple Grandin: I can't explain why, but since having kids, I seem to get choked up over seemingly small things. And, at random times as well. Always, at church, during worship songs, I'm fighting back tears and my voice is shaky although, to tell you the truth, nothing earth-shattering is going on in my soul. However, during this movie, I could hardly see what was going on I had so many wet tears pouring out. Her ability to just go and tackle her visions. The social world was difficult for her, but you can see how pointless those things are. She had a goal. She worked for it. This woman has inspired me to continue my dreams, and to let my mind be curious.



4. Bonnie: Well, if Temple has given me the energy to go get my dreams accomplished, Bonnie's death is the inspiration behind one of my dreams. To write a book: "A Family Born Around the Table." Our two families had dinner with each other twice a week for the entire duration of my childhood in Iowa (18 years) and it continues to this day. I'm also inspired to host a 4 family weekly potluck dinner to continue the tradition. If there is one thing missing from our generation, it is having valuable community and support. It is all too easy to get lost in our own media-filled dwellings!

5. Lyle: My grandpa's passing was expected (he was 92), but it was still rather sudden and I think, maybe, it hit us as a family harder than we thought it would. I think these Family Potluck nights will have to include a Happy Hour in his honor as well.


6. Subscription to Whole Living magazine: A wonderful gift from my mom. To go to the doctor and be told I'm dehydrated......again. I had a scary episode during my pregnancy with Eric. And again, I had a cold take a turn for the worst all because I wasn't taking care of myself. A cold put me flat on my back with a weak pulse, feverish symptoms yet with no fever. Easy for a doctor to flag that problem! There is a lot I need to change here, but for 2011, baby steps! Drinking water would be a good start!


7. CouponMom: Again, it is embarrassing enough to admit that I'm sorta digging country music, but here I go again by saying I have never heard of Couponmom until 3 months ago. This website changed everything about how I shop. I spend $6 on three Sunday papers every week and just pull out the coupons. That's how much time it takes. Oh, and I went through computer ink faster than Flash with all my printable coupons! If you love the word FREE, you'll love this website.


8. Discovering Waldorf: This website: Rhythm of the Home is a good find. Although baby #4 gets talked about a lot these days between Cam and I, we honestly can't decide between another of our own or to adopt or to be done. But whatever happens with our family size, I do hope to continue to incorporate more wonder, awe, exploration, imagination into our homeschool...and as baby number 3 is about to turn 2 already, I feel myself falling more into the category of attachment parent. Although, if we do have a baby again, I would not demand feed. But, I would consider co-sleeping at times and just general baby-wearing!


9. Tonya Joy Photography: I received an amazing gift this year to be able to attend this Photography Workshop. I've followed this woman's blog for a couple years now and have always drooled over the opportunity to go to one of these workshops. And now, I actually live close enough to go! The link is to the last one she had..........So exciting. Although, I really don't feel passionate about being a professional photographer. I do feel passionate about the art and taking pictures, editing them and blogging really feeds my soul in a unique way. THe cost was worth it to us.

10. Katie Sokoler: She just glows with life and joy.


I'll close my post now envisioning you turning off your computer, grabbing a notebook and jotting down some remarkable people, places or experiences that really inspired you this year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too was a closet country fan for a long time but now I am proud to say I enjoy country music. I don't love all of it, but I love songs about family and overcoming obstacles and persevering! And Brad Paisley will always make me laugh...and cry. The kids are loving the Sugarland song "Stuck Like Glue" and I'll always love Phil Vassar "Just Another Day in Paradise". Download it...it's totally worth it!

PS Liam just was sitting heer with me and saw your header and said "What are THOSE?!?!" Guess I'll be making them later...

Anonymous said...

Oh, and we must be on a similar cross country wavelength because we just downloaded that Brad Paisley song last week...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share