Question/Answer Session

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Four Observations

Observation #1: Dandelions can also be a girl's best friend:

I often walk by the kitchen counter and find this...
Photobucket



Ally loves to rub them under her nose until her entire upper lip is stained a yellowish gold.
Photobucket


Observations #2: Kids LOVE to make applesauce!

We are busy preparing for our first Monday Night Pot luck this coming week.
Photobucket



Surely, our guests won't mind applesauce made in such a manner: on the floor, little hands in and out of the bowl,
Photobucket



Apple slices turned into eye glasses!
Photobucket



Just kidding! I wouldn't serve that to our guests!!! I actually burned that batch...
Pre-scorching photo:
Photobucket



Finn actually still liked the flavor! Ally and Eric were not convinced! Nonetheless, we are eagerly anticipating the house full of friends and new acquaintances this coming Monday! I'm a little nervous, but more relived that others were excited about the idea of getting together like this too. One person even said it was an answer to her prayers.

I almost want the first night to go off without a hitch. Should I have an ice breaker planned? How will the teens interact...? So many fun questions swirl around in my head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Observation #3: Four and five-year-olds are really fun to teach when you only have 5 students in your class!

Today was the first day of my second teaching career! I was ready and excited for the day, which surprised me. I did expect to be a little more nervous. It helps that we only meet once a week for 12 weeks, so the lesson planning is not much additional stress on me. The children are so precious and eager to learn. They always make teaching very rewarding. I hope to take some pictures of the class to post soon!

Finn still does struggle in the class which leaves me to think I might need to look into other options for him next year. Maybe, I am not the best teacher for him. He does seem to be becoming even more clingy to me and more reluctant to enjoy class settings on his own(like Sunday school time). I don't really know what is going on here yet. But, I know next fall, with Camlon deployed, this behavior is likely to worsen.


Another big stress reliever is the fact that I have a wonderful friend that watches Eric and Ally while Finn and I drive 60+ minutes round trip to his campus. The kids get dropped off at 8 and I don't get back until 1:00 or 1:30. Ally looks forward to this playdate EVERY week.
Photobucket


She adores painting and I'm fresh out of paints at the moment. But, luckily, she got to pick up a brush today! And, it looks like they had a lot of fun with chalk!
Photobucket



They had to keep Eric from squishing the bejesus out of this little guy!
Photobucket



And, when you look at the size comparison here.....he was a very little guy! Hope he survived.
Photobucket
(Photo credits to JK)


Observation #4: God does have us here for a reason. And he's provided amazing friends and support. It did take a little energy for me to step out there. Give that person a call. Share a bit about myself and open up when it was a little scary to do so. And, I felt that others were doing the same for me. Calling and reaching out, when they didn't know me that well either. I feel very grateful for that tonight.


2 comments:

Danielle said...

Hi Rachel!

You kiddos are adorable. I love the pictures you post and the way you explain what is happening. It just cracks me up knowning their personalities.
I haven't gotten a chance to peak into Phinn's sunday school class, I had been every week making it to both Ally and his class before church but I've been slacking. When I did, he had seem more comfortable than what I know kids do. He seemed to be having fun making whatever lego creation he had come up with that day. I will do my best to stop by this Sunday. Miss you guys, hopefully see you soon, this Monday??

Love,
Danielle

Anonymous said...

I love Ally's hair! I am having the hardest time getting Kaia's bangs to grow out! They just hang in her face and she brushes them away all day, even with a little clip to hold them back! Can't wait until they are past the annoying phase!

Wishing you luck on your first pot luck! It will be great! Don't doubt yourself, it's awesome you put yourself out there!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share